Whether you are just starting out as a Web designer or Web developer or are looking to become one, there are skills you need to know to be successful. The following list of technical skills is a list of the skills you need to be a good Web designer. They are listed in importance to getting a job as a Web designer, although some may be in higher demand than others.
Skills Needed in Web Design Jobs
1. HTML – Having a good understanding of HTML, XHTML etc is fundamental in Website Design, knowing HTML will give you an understanding of how the Web works so that your designs will be more effective. HTML is imperative to both Web designers and Web developers.
2. CSS – Ability to represent your design using as CSS wherever possible will reduce your overall file sizes and loading times, and will certainly increase performance in search engines. Being able to manipulate CSS, to a degree where you can create completely cross browser compatible pages from any design file is certainly one of the most valuable skills in the industry. It is what powers the designs and determines how a page will look.
3. CREATIVITY & GRAPHICS DESIGN – Making websites visually compelling is a big part of web design jobs. However, successful web designers learn to tailor their creativity and graphic skills to suit their client’s or employer’s needs. Good websites are easy to use, which means that form needs to suggest function in the online world. How do you let users know something is clickable? How do you direct a user’s attention to what’s most important on the page? These are challenges that web designers face on a daily basis.
4. JQUERY – This is latest website design craze, with the ability to interact with the server on the fly. For a while now, we have seen on larger corporate sites, the introduction of what appear to mainly be usability improvements, and slick CSS transitions and effects.
5. PHP – Regarded as the Internet’s number one choice for server-side languages, its open source benefits come right out on top again. PHP is used widely throughout the internet from simple functions for using dynamic dates, and including template files right through to complete object oriented application development.
6. FLASH – Animation on the web is as popular as ever with more focus on 3D tools interactivity and compatibility. Having the skills to be able to create nice animations can certainly give your work the wow factor that will sell your work to your clients. Animation and video are one of the best ways to get the attention of your users.
7. SEO – Search Engine Optimisation is the Website Design profitability holy grail. With powerful SEO, websites can gain exposure to the target audiences and out perform those that don’t. It is virtually useless to create a beautifully designed, user friendly website with the very latest in web technologies, if no body is going to be able to find it.
8. SERVER ADMINISTRATION – There are certainly many areas of web design that are not glamorous, but equally as important if you are to maintain a high level of service. Administering Domains, Hosting, Emails, servers, backups etc is essential for smooth website running.
9. PROJECT MANAGEMENT – When running or working for a web company, although not necessarily related to website design, but more good business practice in general, being able to manage the project to the constraints of time, budget and resources, could be the difference between a successful project with on going support, maintenance and future developments and a disappointed client that looks elsewhere for future Website Design
10. MYSQL – Open source technologies on the web have so far dominated when it comes to all round uptakes. Web designers of all levels can use MySQL technology freely within the Website Design. With the bulk of web applications using MySQL along with PHP, it’s no surprise that having this skill set can certainly be valuable in this day and age.
Posted on November 4, 2011, in Web Design and tagged creativity, html, project management, seo, technical skills, web design, web design skill set, web design skills, web design tools, web designer skills. Bookmark the permalink. 7 Comments.